+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First race  (Read 3570 times)

Arrojo

First race
« on: November 22, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »
Ran the local Turkey Trot today. First race in exactly one year and my fastest 5K in 2 years.
Everything feels great, just need to work on my conditioning. Life is good. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Canadian-Ice

Re: First race
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:51:47 PM »
Great news, Arrojo,

As a runner myself, I was wondering if you have any "signs or symptoms" of the BHR when you run at various speads or on various terrain or inclines?

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:23:51 AM »
Great new you are able to run again.  You have a lot to be Thanful for - as we all do with our great hip resurfacings.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
Good news, Arrojo - happy turkey day and race.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Arrojo

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
Great news, Arrojo,

As a runner myself, I was wondering if you have any "signs or symptoms" of the BHR when you run at various speads or on various terrain or inclines?

Not at all. Although I'm a middle of the pack distance runner, I've competed at the national level in Masters track and field at sprinting; I have not yet tried to sprint. One thing I highly recommend is deep-tissue massage, or Active Release Technique. I think a lot of the issues people have are not directly related to the implant, but rather the scar tissue buildup in soft tissue in the hip and surrounding areas.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:17 PM »

That's great Arrojo. I love sprinting too. Are you planning to return to that next year?

Arrojo

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »

That's great Arrojo. I love sprinting too. Are you planning to return to that next year?

I am!  There are some good Masters meets in May and June I am looking at.  But I really need to get to the track and see if I can blast out some 100's and 200's.  Jogging for 3 or 5 miles (even fast distance running) is not quite the same thing as you know.  What is your best event?
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

David

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »
Nice Arrojo, glad you are back to running again.  My advice is to be careful with the speedwork and give yourself incremental doses and a rest day or two to follow.  I tried to follow up some speedwork the next day with a long trail run to see how my body would tolerate.  Hamstrings have been barking at me for a few weeks now. I learn slowly, have to bang my head against the wall several times first...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »

That's inspiring Arojjo, it would be really great to hear how you feel as you progress and start sprinting.

I used to run 100m in university. After 30 got into long distance for about 3 years before I got injured, 5K, 10K, half-marathon. I'm a hybrid.

By the way, do you ever find that your scars or soft tissue injuries act up outside in the cold?

Arrojo

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
Nice Arrojo, glad you are back to running again.  My advice is to be careful with the speedwork and give yourself incremental doses and a rest day or two to follow.  I tried to follow up some speedwork the next day with a long trail run to see how my body would tolerate.  Hamstrings have been barking at me for a few weeks now. I learn slowly, have to bang my head against the wall several times first...
David

Thanks for that info, my guinea pig.   ;D  There are two kinds of speed workouts - distance running speed workouts (think 12 x 400m with slow jog in between or something like that) and true sprint workouts (3 or 4 x 200m @ 90-95% effort with full 5 minute recovery in between each).  I was hoping to start doing the distance running speed workouts this week, but only once a week to start.  LIke you said David, I will see how my body reacts before progressing.  Sprint workouts are a few months away I think.

That's inspiring Arojjo, it would be really great to hear how you feel as you progress and start sprinting.

I used to run 100m in university. After 30 got into long distance for about 3 years before I got injured, 5K, 10K, half-marathon. I'm a hybrid.

By the way, do you ever find that your scars or soft tissue injuries act up outside in the cold?

A fellow hybrid!  Nothing seems to act up in the cold (knock wood).  But I threw my back out yesterday after morning yoga and then doing yardwork.  <sigh>  Minor setback gives me some unplanned rest days, and that's OK.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »
Congratulations Arrojo,  I too returned to racing with a 5K turkey trot.  I went 25:09 and got third place in the old guys division.  At one time if I ran that time I would have burned my running shoes.  This time it felt Great!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Arrojo

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
got third place in the old guys division.

Awesome!! 
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
Maybe there ought to be an HR division. 

Arrojo - good news on your running, that's awesome.  Like David said, I'd take it easy on the true sprints.  I think it's easy to extend the ROM beyond what your body is ready for.  When I got the clearance to begin running, I wanted to gear up for soccer season, so I did a lunch time loop up the hill behind my office.  Basically ran a total of about 3 miles, but in the middle of it, I did 5 or so 150m sprints up a fairly steep hill, thinking that it would be good for hips and muscles around the hip and also for the lungs.  I would often get a torn-flexor type of pain a little later in the run, so I essentially stopped doing that.  I then started soccer and I have a hard time slowing down, like a dog after a ball.  I played sweeper and we always held a tight offside line close to the middle of the field.  When a young buck would bust through the offside line and the ref wasn't paying attention (like always  ::)), it was my job to sprint after them and I would usually have 30 yards or more of a straight sprint.  Halfway through the season the flexor muscles got more and more tendor.  The pain would go way with icing and a night's rest, but it would always come back at each game, sooner in the game each time, eventually I just stopped playing.

I've been playing indoor soccer, lately, which has much shorter distances and much less time, but still a lot of sprinting, but usually more side to side cutting and there's been no pain.  The cool thing about indoor, is that I don't feel like I'm any different than I used to be before OA, other than my cardio isn't as good.

Also, there are probabaly some really good exercise and stretches to help extend the ROM so that your hips are ready for the sprinting.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat