+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Walking the dog  (Read 1359 times)

Lauren Lee

Walking the dog
« on: June 08, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »
How long after surgery did you feel safe to walk your dog?  My Australian Shepherd follows me around the house when I get home from work...not because he is glad I'm home, but because he wants his walk. He's pretty controllable and I use a harness and a retractable leash. Bailey thanks you.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Walking the dog
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
I had to wait until I was off crutches at 6 weeks, and we have 2 small dogs.  It was very nice to be able to walk them again, because like you, they go when I get home each day.  The dogs were great help during the recovery period.

Hope it helps,

Dan

LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

packman

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Depends on the environment - fortunate to have a wooded trail area, so off leash - 5 weeks + when I was weaning off the cane/stick, and she is very obedient and does not wander too far
Around the street on leash - definitely past the 6 week mark, but she is not a yanker either
Female Golden Retriever - 10 years old - 76 lbs.
During the early recovery period, I must admit I was very cautious of not putting myself in an situation with a risk fo falling
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

maxx6789

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:58:42 AM »
hi, lauren.

i have an Australian Shepherd, too. below is a video of my left hip recovery and me walking my dog after about 30 days (you can skip to around the 1:30 mark to see my dog!!!). i agree it depends somewhat on your environment, your recovery, and your dog.

i started walking my dog (with some caution) a few days after moving to 1 cane (about 3 weeks) and after 6 weeks (and no crutches) is was a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHMuaWayQYk
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Lauren Lee

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:25:41 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think the recovery is going to be harder on Bailey than it is on me.  Thanks for the video...encouraging. Pretty Aussie. Ours is a red-tri. Great breed.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat