+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it worth buying a walking cane?  (Read 2888 times)

lgbran

Is it worth buying a walking cane?
« on: October 24, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »
Hi there,
Have many invested in a walking cane to aid  recovery / gait post surgery?
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

B.I.L.L.

Re: Is it worth buying a walking cane?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »
1 yes vote

maxx6789

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:25:37 AM »
i think it is pretty much the standard that you will progress from two crutches to a walking cane to regular walking. that is what i did. my doctor's protocol was three weeks on two crutches, followed by three weeks on one cane ... period. on my first hip, i probably could have moved from the crutches to cane in less than 3 weeks; for my second hip, i did need the 3 weeks. in both cases i did benefit from the cane for at least the first two weeks and was walking normal (way better than pre-surgery) after 6 weeks.

is your doctor's protocol different?

my suggestion: you want "the best" recovery which does not automatically mean "the fastest".
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Granton

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:51:49 AM »
Mr McMinn's protocol is four weeks on two crutches, then four weeks on one crutch or walking stick (English English for "cane"). The physio said that it did not matter which you chose. I have been given the crutches which are comfortable, so I was going to use one of them.

I think it is critical to ensure that your gait is perfect before you move to the next stage.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

lgbran

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:58:23 AM »
No mention of a cane from the dr, however I thought I would be proactive and ascertain if needed in advance. I found this collapsible walking stick from an online shop which fits the bill. Had my eyes on antique one on eBay but from what I can gather its a bit short. Apparently as I'm 185 cm or 6 Foot 1 I need to get a long one
Cheers

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Granton

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 05:40:35 AM »
In the last weeks before surgery, I was using one or two trekking poles to help get around.

Somehow, it felt more athletic than a cane  :)

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Marco Polo

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:09:22 AM »
Igbran:  I also found it useful to use a trekking pole.  I used it with one crutch after the first week and then used 1 trekking pole for stability until I could walk unassisted.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:56:33 AM »
I bought one at the local pharmacy (chemist's if you're in the UK) for about $20 (15GBP?). This one was adjustable, which is probably a good idea for you.  I went straight from 2 crutches to the cane and it was a great feeling of liberation and getting closer to normal. I needed the support while my leg was getting ready to be fully weight-bearing. I only used it for about a week but it was worth it.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

hippy hippy shake

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:07 AM »
I thought about it,  but never had the need for a cane.  Went from two crutches (forearm crutches) to one, to carrying one with me.  It might make a difference having one side done at a time though.  Not a big expense to have it around just in case. 
Bilateral BHR 4/18/2013
Dr. Su

fenceman

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »
I found that after 6 weeks when I was done with my crutches,  a cane would help me walk with a normal gate and without any limp.   I would only use it on long walks, like at a park or a mall, and then for only a few weeks until I got my strength back. 

Besides I had a really cool looking cane that I could wack my kids with when they made fun about me getting old. :)    Make sure you get one that is the proper length and comfortable in your hand as you put your weight on the cane.  Then walk as normal as possible.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

whyme

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
Hi, I went from 2 crutches to 1 to none. No cane. First with 2 crutches it was just under 2 weeks, then 1 crutch while walking (but not needed inside the house after week 3 or so) until week 6, where I started to gradually add time without it. First a couple of hundred meters, then half a km, and so on. Since week 7 I'm not using it any longer.
I only stopped using the crutch when the limping was gone (or I didn't feel I was limping, anyway).
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
If you do decide to get one we can really say "welcome to the club"  ;D
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

keepmovin

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
After reading your post, I asked my PT today.  Her advice was a resounding 'absolutely'!  My advice would be a safe 'yes' as well.  It's like buying insurance, even though you may not ever need it.  I used it my first time and will use it once off my crutches this time.  It's more for balance, assurance and stability.  It will help with stabilizing your gait if necessary.
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM