+-

Author Topic: 2 years later, I still can't run, and it's getting worse.  (Read 386 times)

Rhetman

2 years later, I still can't run, and it's getting worse.
« on: August 27, 2020, 03:18:26 AM »
Hi Everyone. Here's my story and I'm really hoping I can find some help here. I've tried reading everything I can find in these forums but I don't see a similar problem.

I used to be a competitive runner. I had both hips resurfaced over 2 years ago now (Pritchett) and at first, my recovery went very well. I did a lot of rehab and healed up quickly. I took it very easy at first with a lot of walking and then very short runs. I took several months just to build up to 5 minutes, just out of caution. After about a year, I was running for about 20 to 30 minutes without pain and even ran a 5k in about 18 minutes.

A few weeks before that 5k, the problem started. I would feel pain on the sides of my hips after about 20 minutes of running. I took some time off and came back to it and it was still happening. I tried running through the pain and that didn't work. I tried stopping running before the pain started and doing that for several weeks and that didn't fix it. I tried not running for a few weeks, then I tried 2 months, and still the pain would come on at about 20 minutes. Eventually, it was happening by 15 minutes and now it happens at about the 10-minute mark. I've tried everything from 5 minutes per mile pace all the way down to 12 minutes per mile jogging with my kids. Still, a dull but growing pain develops until I stop running.

I can walk all day or even hike up and down mountains with no problem. I can ride my bike for hours with no pain. I'm just really sad that I can't run. I tried to explain it to my local doctor but I just don't think he knows much about hip resurfacing. I tried asking Dr. Pritchett and he sais sometimes people can run again and sometimes they can't. I've seen all your stories about returning to running and racing and I really hope that I can fix this.

I'm not sure the best way to describe the pain but I'm willing to answer questions. It is dull, not too sharp. It is sort of deep but I would describe it as somewhere on the sides. I think it is right about where the hip joint is.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try? I'm willing to do the work if there is something I need to strengthen.

Thanks.
Avid Runner
Left Hip - April 2018
Right Hip - July, 2018
Dr. Pritchett

autoazure

• Prof Meek, Glasgow, 09/10/19, 58mm 52mm head
Re: 2 years later, I still can't run, and it's getting worse.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 02:35:17 PM »
Sorry to hear this Rhetman! I am no Doctor however I can only offer suggestions based upon my experiences and reasoning.
I continued to train and race with bone on bone to my left hip and subsequent to my resurfacing now almost 11 months' ago by adopting the following:
I assumed that as cartilage was lost this would result in no cushioning upon impact in the hip joint. As the capsule was repaired at least synovial fluid would lubricate the moving parts in contact.
I started to run mainly on the front of my feet (balls of feet) in order to reduce the impact of landing as the knees, muscles and tendons would absorb such impact. I avoided heel strikes.
I ran more steep uphill road sections in order to strenghten the muscles (and gym work of leg presses and pull ups).
I do NOT run fast down steep hill sections (not yet anyway) as I do not want to put too much impact upon the joint.
I wear high cushioned shoes (Hoka).
My weight has always been less than average for height.
I am now running between 50 to 55 miles per week and have twice covered a half marathon distance during training in under 2 hours fairly easily.
I would also recommend not to run too fast (6 minute miles would be for me too fast now).
I am nearly 64 years old so I am perfectly happy to just be able to run and remain wary of running faster than 7.30 minute miles over any long duration.
I know we are all different and what works for one individual may not for others however, I merely wish to help.
Please keep us informed regarding your progress! Regards Jim Thyne
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:39:42 PM by autoazure »

Rhetman

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »
Thanks Jim, those are good ideas. I have tried them to some degree but I think I will give them another try with more commitment.
Avid Runner
Left Hip - April 2018
Right Hip - July, 2018
Dr. Pritchett

Paprika

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 08:29:21 PM »
Are you doing clamshells, monster walks and the other PT exercises designed to strengthen the muscles and tendons in the outer hip?  I had my left hip resurfaced by Dr Pritchett in April 2017. From time to time, I experience similar outer hip pain during or after a run. The exercises really help to address it.

Rhetman

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 03:41:29 AM »
Thanks, I did a ton of these workouts during the PT phase of recovery but now that you mention it I haven't done them in a while. I'll start them back up and see if that helps.
Avid Runner
Left Hip - April 2018
Right Hip - July, 2018
Dr. Pritchett

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats