+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing Revision to a THR  (Read 18143 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hip Resurfacing Revision to a THR
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »
I have personally written to a handful of people who have required a revision of their hip resurfacing to a THR.  This is very tramatic to them and very discouraging.  I think they need a place to find support from all of us who are still lucky and have our hip resurfacings.

It is also important for new people to realize that "things" can happen to a hip resurfacing that can require a revision.  Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often, but with every major surgery - there is a small chance of problems.  Some of the problems that required revisions are metal allergies, infections, femur neck fractures and loose or misplaced acetabular cups. This is a page about a few of the problems http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacingproblems.php

I have the http://www.hipsforyou.comwebsite for THRs, but the discussion group there is much smaller than the Hip Talk Group.  Also, people that have had hip resurfacing are very special since they knew what a good procedure it would be for them and made a decision to have a resurfacing. So I think this would still be a good place for them to tell their stories and receive some support from all of us Surface Hippies!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Spanielsal

Re: Hip Resurfacing Revision to a THR
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »
Dear Pat

thank you for the above information.  I have a Cormet 2000 and am having some pain in the joint which could be referred but might also be problems.  I have looked at Mr McMinn's answer to Cormet's heat treating paper back in 2007 and found much interesting stuff, scary too.  I am awaiting metal ions blood work and after that an appointment with Mr McMinn in Birmingham.  but thank you for the info.  I thought i would post here because it is difficult to find many references to a Cormet 2000 as most people seem to have a BHR.  I hope it doesn't need doing but if it did, i think the only option is to a THR which isn't great but better to be pain free.  Cheers.  Spaniel Sal
I'm a Hippy Hybrid!  L HR Cormet 2000 - Mr Villar, 12th June 2003 and R Corin mini hip - Mr Villar 7th August 2012

Kevin Kittell

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 08:42:13 PM »
Hi- I am a newbie to this site but I do have a 4 year old HR that has failed. really loved the HR and was hoping it could be redone w/ out having a total hip???

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
Kevin hi and welcome. Why has your HR failed? This will have a bearing on what revision takes place.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Kevin Kittell

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »
Thanks for responding Danny. The ball on my femoral head was cemented and that has loosened. The pain is no where near the pre HR level but I still have my moments. I was wondering if those situations were ever repaired without advancing to the THR.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
Hmmmmm I'm no surgeon so cannot give you an answer. For that you need to see the best most experienced surgeon possible. What I can tell you is that in some rare cases revisions have been done where a BMHR is used but I think McMinn has only done a couple of these and I'm not sure what the mode of failure was in which he did them.
Who was your original surgeon? As a femoral loosening sounds like surgeon error to me. As both McMinn and Treacy have never had a femoral loosening since switching to cement with the BHR.
What device did you receive as the way cement is used with the BHR is unique to it.
Danny 
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »
HI Kevin, sorry to hear about that, what did they tell you about the alternatives?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

n2fun

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
Hi Kevin, I too had the femoral ball loosen and fail, my original BHR was in 1/09 and the revision was in 12/2010. My surgeon reused the socket and replaced the femoral portion with a total hip type. I still have a large MOM bearing. I have had great success from the procedure with a better range of motion than with the BHR (My surgeon says it is due to the reduced neck dia. of the implant) I am very active and have no problems with my new hip, the recovery was slower the second time around I think mostly due to the additional trauma. So I guess what I'm trying to say is revision to a THR isn't the end of the world.

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:49:04 AM »
That's really good to hear, glad it's done well for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

johnd_emd

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »
Pat, can I impose on you to read my post, just below this one?  I would love some opinions and advice on who to possibly see for z second opinion.  Thanks 🙏
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »
Hi I answered your questions under your other post.

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php/topic,6199.new.html#new

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat