Evelyne has given me permission to post her Water Exercises on the Website.
Her only caution to patients is: Just let the patients know that it is easy to overdo things in the pool and that you have to build things up slowly. Evelyne’s Water Exercises:1.Walking forward, short even steps. Rolling off the heel to toe. Toes forward.2. Walking forward, lifting knees to 90 degrees (horizontal). Toes forward.3. Jogging forwards, lifting knees to 90 degrees. Toes forward.
4. Walking backwards, short even steps. Rolling toe to heel. Toes forward.
5. Walking backwards, lifting knees to 90 degrees. Toes forward.
6. Jogging backwards, lifting knees to 90 degrees. Toes forward.
7. Scissor steps sideways to left, no lifting knees. Toes forward.
8. Scissor steps sideways to left, lifting knees, longer steps. Toes forward.
9. Scissor steps sideways to right, no lifting knees. Toes forward.
10.Scissor steps sideways to right, lifting knees, longer steps. Toes forward.
11. Holding side of pool-lift operated knee up to 90 degrees and down.
12. Holding side of pool-leg abduction with heel turned slightly.
13. Knees together, kick one foot up to the butt and down. Operated side.
14. Knees together, grab the ankle from behind, stretch the quads. Both sides.
15. Put operated foot against the wall; stretch out calf muscle, other leg
16. Put other foot against the wall, stretch out calf muscle, operated leg
17. Jogging on the spot, lifting knees up. Toes forward.
18. Jogging on the spot, heels to the butt.
19. Fast, short, heel toe steps on the spot.
20. Jumping on both feet, legs together.
21. Jumping on operated leg.
22. Jumping jacks.
23. Skiing twist.
24. Bicycling, slow, then fast, 45 seconds each.
25. Butt against the wall, lift both legs to level and then down.
26. Butt against the wall, lift legs to level, then open and close legs.
27. Straight leg lift of operated leg forwards, then to neutral.
28.Keep the knee up, bended knee-kick forward and return.