“Results of resurfacing patient survey conducted on the Yahoo Surface Hippy online forum between Oct 16 – Dec 20, 2007. There were pproximately 850 responses which included approximately 750 responses regarding post-op experiences. The oldest resurfacing was nearly 10 years old (April, 1998). About 65% of patients had surgeries based in the United States and 35% in other countries. Survey results should be considered “biased” because the responses are only from individuals who subscribe to the online forum Yahoo Surface Hippies and who chose to respond to the survey. The degree of bias, however, may be very small for many questions. For questions regarding survey administration Al Taylor.
1. Date of your surgery? (if you have had both hips done on different dates, please take the survey twice). If future date then estimate.
2. City/state where surgery took (will take) place. If outside US, please give country. (example response: Chicago, IL)
3. Your age on date of surgery?
4. Your sex?
5. How long post-op are you, as of today? Pick selection that is closest.
6. Device/type of procedure? (example response: “BHR”)
7. What was/is the primary problem that led to the surgery?
8. Pre-op pain: While walking, when did “significant discomfort” begin?
9. Pre-op physical condition (fitness/endurance/strength), relative to others your age (best guess):
10. Pre-op medication:
11. Pre-op mood:
12. Pre-op range of motion (ROM) in operated hip/leg:
13. Pre-op lifestyle restrictions due to hip condition:
14. How did you first find out about resurfacing?
15. How many nights did you spend in the hospital?
16. On Discharge from the hospital where did you go?
17. Which statement best describes the majority of your immediate post op recovery period? (first 2-3 weeks)
18. How much of all surgery and immediate rehab expenses were paid for by insurance or national medical plan (Canda, UK, Aus?NZ)? Consider all direct costs: doctor/hospital fees, deductibles, copays, medicine, travel/hotel, equipment, etc. ($1 US = approx. 50 pence (UK) $1 (Canada), $1 (AUS/NZ)
19. Approximately what were your personal out-of-pocket direct costs? (US $)
20. How long did you regularly take prescription pain meds post-op? Exclude OTC medications such as Tylenol, etc.
21. How long, if at all, did you wear TEDS? (anti-embolism stockings) Include time in the hospital.
22. How would you rate any sleeping problems in the first 4 post-op weeks?
23. How would you rate any gastro-intestinal/urinary problems (e.g. constipation, too-frequent urination, etc.) in the immediate post-op period ( say 2 weeks)?
24. How would you rate your general mood in the first 4 post-op weeks?
25. Did you have any problems with Deep Vein Thrombosis, or other complications due to blood clotting?