- 3 Year Update Kiwi Boy’s Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Blackley 2014
- 8 Year Update Moe’s Bilateral Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Marchand 2009
- 9 Month Update Wayne Morris HR with Dr. Rogerson 2016
- Bob Vetter Left BHR with Dr. Rogerson 2009
- Cycling Stories
- David Stableforth’s Hip Resurfacing with Mr. McMinn 1998
- Dirk Van Dyke Bilateral DePuy ASR 02/08 03/08 Dr. Ball
- Erik Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett 2010
- Floyd Landis Hip Resurfacing 2006
- Floyd Landis Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett 2006 Update
- Gary A’s Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2015
- Gary Kobat Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Bose 2007
- Jame’s Hip Resurfacing with Mr. Treacy at 17 years old in 2006
- Jcwikla’s Hip Resurfacing with Dr.Kusuma 2013
- John-Lee Augustyn joins Team MTN-Qhubeka After His Hip Resurfacing 2011
- Kani Rowland Bilateral Hip Resurfacing with Dr. De Smet 2006
- Kevin Robinson’s Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Marchand 2013
- Kleary’s Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Brooks
November 29, 2016
I have about a week before my surgery next week. I’m a 49 year old female, born with hip dysplasia. I’m an avid rower and a cyclist and I’ve had bone-on-bone arthritis for at least two years. I was able to ride and row all season, and even got in one of each over the holiday weekend, which I’m happy about.
If it weren’t for this site I’d be having a hip replacement, I’m sure. I’m most looking forward to being able to stand, walk, and sleep without pain. Oddly enough I can row hard and ride hard easier than I can just stand around. The weight bearing is a killer.
December 7, 2016
Everything went well! I ended up with general anesthesia because the anesthesiologist did not like the idea of regional, even though Koen was ok with it. It worked out fine.
Food was exactly … Read the rest
August 11, 2014
Had a BHR on my left hip last Sept 20. I had had arthritis from a previous hip fracture accompanied by severe IT/knee pain. Post-procedure, everything had been going extremely well–I was following the fairly conservative recovery program prescribed by my doctor (no lifting or weight training, no high impact for a year post surgery) and I felt really perfect, but all of the sudden one day a couple weeks ago, it felt like I had some kind of insect bite on my front quadricep. I kept itching it and wondering how a mosquito bit me through my jeans. Then I realized what I was feeling was a tingling sensation which eventually became a greater tingling and numbness down the front of my thigh. And then I noticed that the area around my incision was kind of tender and I have some sensitivity in my buttock area. … Read the rest
July 17, 2017
On the 7th July, 2017 , I celebrated my 3rd Anniversary of BHR Left side. Wow, how the time has disappeared and how I am able to compete “pretty well” in Triathlon, all be it , at Sprint and Standard Distance.
The hip has never been better and I attribute this to alot of patience in the re-hab,[ a fantastic “nurse”- the wife] ,lots of precise, dedicated massage by Roger Gooch of BodySmart, careful choices of racing and distances, plus correct footwear. As well an excellent operation by Dr Hugh Blackley, here in New Zealand.
I continue to do plenty of swimming,cycling, and some running. The Run is somewhat hindered due to a serious knee injury, and unfortunately we have not got an equivalent Runners knee, compared to the Birmingham Hip – Bugger.
Overall I could not be more rapt with … Read the rest
8 Year Update July 13, 2017 – 8 years and still going strong. 64 years, very active, hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, weight training, 3400 miles on road. gravel, and mountain bikes in 2016. Never any issues, hips totally pain free. Aches and elsewhere lol! Thanks to Pat for this site, great info. BHR’s changed my life.… Read the rest
Just wanted to update the progress of my resurfaced hip done on August 18th. Three days ago I finished a 3000km bike ride from the very top of New Zealand to the very bottom and for the entire ride I had zero issues. In fact I’d forgot that it had even been done at all it was so good!
In November I’m off to climb Vinson, the highest mountain in Antarctica and I’m sure that will go the same way 🙂
I’ll see you guys when I manage to screw my left hip up…
Wayne Morris… Read the rest
November 19, 2016 UPDATE – my left hip’s second birthday!
All is still well. I suspect the scar will always feel a bit strange but the joint itself is great and gives no concern despite all the use it gets, which includes 46 5km races, one 10km race and bike rides up to 55 miles in the last 12 months. It has also been subjected to a fair amount of walking, rock climbing/bouldering and gym workouts without complaining. So far, so good!
The only things restricting activity nowadays are my remaining natural hip and old age – the right one was given a two-year lifespan by my surgeon but it seems to be no worse at the moment than two years ago so there is no immediate rush to get it done (but I do worry that some agency like NICE could decide that over-55s should not get BHR in … Read the rest
- Pete M’s Hip Resurfacing with Mr. Kershaw 2015 – biking and running
- Gary A Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2015 – Biking
- Steve S Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2014 – Biking
- Robert C Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2014 – Mountain Biking
- Jcwikla’s Hip Resurfacing with Dr.Kusuma 2013 – Cycling
- Kevin Robinson Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Marchand 2013 – ProBMXer
- John-Lee Augustyn joins Team MTN-Qhubeka After His Hip Resurfacing 2011 Cycling
- Erik Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett 2010 – Biking & Snow Skiing
- Bob Vetter Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Rogerson 2009- Biking and swimming
- Dirk Van Dyke Bilateral DePuy ASR 02/08 03/08 Dr. Ball – Cycling
- Steve Goulet’s Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Kreuzer 2008-Cycling
- Kani Rowland Bilateral Hip Resurfacing Dr. De Smet 2006 – Surfing, Biking and Skiing
- Floyd Landis Hip Resurfacing 2006 – Cycling
- Jame’s Hip Resurfacing with Mr. Treacy at 17 years old in 2006 – Cycling
Pro BMXer Kevin Robinson had a hip resurfacing procedure performed on October 16, 2013. This video goes into the operating room to tell his story. This contains some extreme images of the surgical procedure and his riding.
The video is produced by Scott Moroney. A special thanks to Dr. Bob Marchand for opening up this new world to our camera.
Kani at the Villa in Belgium
The following is an account of my bilateral hip resurfacing adventure gathered
from some emails I had sent and some of which were posted on the Surface Hippy
website. I hope they will give an insight for anyone interested in traveling to
Belgium for hip resurfacing with Dr. Koen De Smet.
Arriving in Ghent
I finally made it to Ghent. I left Portland at 7:40 am Saturday and arrived in
Ghent at 8:30 am Sunday. Time to catch up on some much needed sleep. Jurgen, one
of the Cuberdon B&B owners was to pick me up at the train station but I didn’t
have a phone card so I jumped in a taxi. Once at the Cuberdon Jurgen gave me a
ride to the center of the old town for their Christmas festival. The old town
area was crowded with people perusing the Christmas … Read the rest
Gary traveled from Vancouver WA. to have his hip resurfaced by the best. He couldn’t be happier with his decision!
"Gary here; day 1 on the road. 11 mile ride 7 weeks post surgery and felt great!"
… Read the rest